Thursday, February 18, 2010

Chasing a Ghost... circa 2005

When you see the guy blasting down a trail or around a track by himself like a mad man what do you think? Can you see that ghost that is always a shade faster than him, always on the better line, riding smoother, can you see him just out in front of him? I do, they are everywhere. Every man on a mission out by himself has one I think, I know I do. A shadow of a man clad in unmarked race leathers, the only view that I get of him is from behind, the view of the slower rider, my eyes fixed on the back tire as I put up chase. Maybe this is just a metaphor for ones own drive, or the line you picture when you are the man chasing yourself, the curse and cause of our addiction. No matter what you do, how fast and skilled you get, you still need to push it further, get some more speed, a little better run. Such is the good life I guess, gives a reason to get up in the morning and go back out there. No big budget movie I have ever seen has captured this, there is no love plot with a girl here, just the love of the chase. So next time you see that guy going way to fast, riding smooth, try to steal a glimpse of his eyes. See the touch of madness in that thousand-yard stare, the cold fire that is burning bright. Follow the line of the stare to the ghost of everything he wants to be, the ghost with all the speed and right moves, but he can never quite catch it. Life times are well spent chasing this ghost, because when he reaches the level of today’s ghost, the ghost has already gotten faster, and better again. Go find you ghost and give chase, it will be a good run I promise, and the ghost will never slow or get board. Go give ‘em hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment